Making Sonlight Core 1 Hands-On






I've been busy over the last few months planning my strategy for 1st Grade/Kindergarten. After much research, soul searching and talking to other moms, I finally decided to go with Sonlight's Core 1: Introduction to World History as my guiding force.

Why Sonlight? I was drawn to the strong history/critical thinking component, as well as the fun factor! I want my children to love learning, as well as to be critical learners, evaluating what is presented to them. Plus, I want them to have a heart for the nations and be well versed in the history and cultures of the world, not just the US. Sonlight provided all that and more.

I was a bit apprehensive about the price, but there's an awesome used homeschool curriculum store in town where I was able to get a good bit of the books I needed for half the retail price. So far, I've only spent around $250 where I originally expected to spend $500 plus. Not bad at all.

Once I got the Core 1 instructor's guide, I began to go through it and start some initial planning. It didn't take long before I was a bit dismayed by the amount of reading each day and the lack of hands on activities to balance out the book time. We were going to be learning fascinating material, but I knew my girls (6 & 5) would need something more besides just reading if they were going to actually enjoy school!

Inspired by other moms who've also worked to plan hands-on activities for the curriculum, I've begun adding in other elements to take Core 1 from being simply a pile of interesting books to a kinesthetic, lapbooking, full of activities curriculum. I'm getting SO excited! For the sake of others that are trying to supplement Core 1, I'm going to be posting my ideas and supplements here. I hopefully start posting over the next several weeks as my lesson plans get firmed up. And if you're going to be doing Core 1 this fall and blogging about it, let me know! I'd love to follow your plans and activities.

9 comments:

Herd of Cowarts said...

Hi Julia,

We just finished up Core 1 and like you I made it very hands on. If you'd like to hear some of the things we did, just let me know. I'd be happy to share. Enjoy the core!

Julia said...

I would love to know more of what you've done! Do you have a blog?

Herd of Cowarts said...

Sadly, I am a terrible blogger and I never seem to blog the really good stuff we do because I'm too busy doing it! We made a couple of neat lapbooks - Charlottes Web, Mr. Popper's Penguins and a 3-D pyramid shaped one on Ancient Egypt. Some of the other things I remember are going to the zoo to further study the penguins, going to the doughnut shop to watch how doughnuts are made, meeting a sight dog and checking out a braille book from the library, making papyrus paper from pond plants we gathered ourselves, mummified a doll and wrote things with heiroglyphics. Some more were cooking green eggs and ham, going to eat at a Greek resturant, and having our own "archaeological dig" in a small spot in the backyard. I know there was a ton more we did but that is a few things off the top of my head. I also remember doing alot of the weekly tips and activities listed in the Usbourne Peoples book. I kept a list but I passed it on to the family that bought my core from me. I will try to keep better records for Core 2 and pass along what we do there!

Julia said...

Wow! That's some awesome ideas! I love them - going to have to implement some. The archaeological dig sounds quite fun.

Shelby said...

I love this post! I have been thinking of different things to add in this year for Core A. My dd could read all day long, my son though, not so much! LOL.

Found you on the SL blog roll hop. I am going to 'follow' your blog. Stop in and see us too, if you get the chance! (:

Shelby
sweetviewfromthehills.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love Sonlight. I used to have a blog where I posted about how we made it more hands on- but it's gone now. However, I am doing it on my main blog, MandyMom.com this year! Definitely looking forward to what you have to share as well! We are doing Core B+C and Core A this year.

Aleshia said...

Thank you! Thank you!! I have the same feelings regarding Sonlight too. I love Sonlight, but feel that it needs a more hands on approach as well. I will definitely be using some of your ideas!

Unknown said...

Hi Julia, I have been putting together some printables to make Sonlight's LA (Cores 1 and 2 so far) workbox friendly. I'd love to hear what you think. My printables can be found in my "store" at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Preparilli-Press

I am still working on posting all that we did this year. We just finished week 36, so I should have more time to get things done :), Shelley

Unknown said...

Following...

Post a Comment

Copyright 2012 Little Lessons for Life:. All rights reserved.